Thursday, April 13, 2006

WEDNESDAY - Pot Luck and Bingo

I won't bore you with my day....it was a typical one. One change was I had to cook something to take to Pot Luck Dinner at our local Senior Citizens. I decided to make one of my specialties.. Broccoli Casserole At 5:30 I left the house and headed up the street to the Community Center.

I thought I might be too early because it starts at 6:00 but there were already cars in the parking lot. This was my first time going alone. I don't do alone very well so I was proud of myself for attempting this. No one ever gets a vibe from me that I am bashful and shy but I am. *smiles* I am sort of an introvert. Anyway I went in and I was warmly welcomed. I sat with the two elderly sisters that we sat across from the last two times we went. They still amaze me..especially the one that is 84. She is having 24 people for Easter and she is doing all the cooking...insists upon it!

When we were eating I was happy to hear people commenting on my dish and asking who made it. During the time after the meal and waiting for the meeting to start one lady who hadn't spoke to me before asked how I made the topping. I told the ingredients and I said I would bring her the recipe to the next dinner. All the ladies piped up said they would like it also. I then had a nice conversation with this lady. I think in one way it was a good thing for Dorothy not to be there as it gave me a chance to get to know the other ladies. I talked with a couple more during the evening. We played Bingo and I won two games so I ended up a dollar richer when I left.. LOL I really had a nice time and glad I went.

Since everyone wanted the recipe I will share it with you also.

BROCCOLI CASSEROLE

2 PKGS CHOPPED BROCCOLI OR BABY BROCCOLI FLOWERETTES
1 CUP MAYO
2 EGGS BEATEN
1 SMALL ONION CHOPPED
1 CAN CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP (OR ANY CREAM SOUP)
1 CUP GRATED CHEESE OF YOUR CHOICE
RITZ CRACKERS, REG. CRACKERS, OR BREAD CRUMBS

Cook broccoli according to pkg and set aside.
Mix everything except broccoli and cheese together.
In greased casserole put a layer of broccoli using all broccoli.
Spoon mixture over this.
Sprinkle grated cheese all over the top.
Crumble Crackers or Crumbs all over the top.
In globs, put approximately 2 tsp of butter or margarine on top.

Cook in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 mins.

Note: you can change the flavor by changing what kind of soup, cheese or crackers you use. If you are dieting you can use non fat item substitutes...and it will still be delicious.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home