Saturday, March 18, 2006

Going Dancing!

Since I lost my best friend, I needed to reach out and make new ones. About 5 months ago an acquaintance of mine, Dorothy, lost her husband and I called her and offered any help I could give her. We had in common that both our husbands name is the same and that they were both retired military. We also discovered due to some red tape neither of us were getting any of our spouse's military pension. I am young enough to work but she is 78 and it is more of a hardship for her. Anyway I didn't hear much from her for a few months as she has a lot of family here that made sure she was well looked after in the first months.

January she called me and we started to go out together a little....dinner at the local restaurant or the American Legion. One night she called me up to have dinner with her. Another night she invited me over to play cards with her and her sister who also lost her husband 2 years ago. I really enjoy her company as she is a young 78 and is an upbeat person.

I should digress a little. My husband was 20 years older than me...died when he was 82. The last 10 years of his life he was not in the best of health and wanted to stay very close to home. I had a ceramic shop in my home for 18 years....closed it up January '04 and he died March '04. I now just paint and sell at a stall I have in town. So because of this I didn't have a lot of friends to hang with so losing my best friend was quite a blow.

Well tonight there is a St. Patrick's dance at the Moose Club and I am going with Dorothy, her sister, and her sister-in-law. Widow's night out... *smiles* I went yesterday and bought a green top to wear. Buying clothes is so depressing right now. I have put on a lot of weight because during the period of my husbands poor health I ate a lot of comfort food. I have been doing WW and have lost 15 lbs but I am not done yet. The scale is stuck at the moment but I am not giving up.

Well I hope to have more to talk about here in the future... Wish me luck tonight. I hope to have a good time.

4 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger angelbleu said...

Hi Sharon,
Good to hear from you too..I had heard that Rick was getting married but didn't know it was this week-end. Best Regards to them both!! Wish I could have been there. It sounds like it was a fun evening. Give my love to your Mom.. hugs, Lynn

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynn, the dance sounds fun! Dorothy sounds like a nice lady. She's lucky to have a good friend like you. You know you have helped me so much since my David passed away. Hugs, ~ Mare

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger angelbleu said...

Mare I am happy if I can help in any way. I owe you big time for bringing our little group of Seesters together.. You all have helped me through my two years of grieving and healing and now I hope I can return some of that to you....hugs, Lynn

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger LeAnna and Mark said...

Lynn, I just had to comment and let you know that I have bookmarked your blog so I can keep up with you. *s*

I'm glad you've started this blog to kind of chronicle your new journey. You are such a brave and wonderful person.

I hope soon you'll find yourself dancing like nobody's watching. (Isn't that the way that saying goes?) *s*

Hugs,
LeAnna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home